ViBe - a powerful technique for background detection and subtraction in video sequences
Source code + programs for Windows and Linux
Source code in C (compatible C++).
Follow the link vibe-sources.zip and download it.
Full documentation of this library.
It is shown how to use ViBe with OpenCV [see the main-opencv.cpp file].
A program for Windows and Linux.
Download an archive ViBe.zip archive [16 MB] to use ViBe on Windows (or under Wine in Linux).
The program allows you to: (1) save the result for your own images, (2) change the few parameters of ViBe to experiment with, and (3) reproduce our results.
- Windows and Linux users: a benchmarking program to evaluate the time needed by ViBe on your platform and on your own sequences! Download an archive vibe-benchmarking-windows.zip archive [15 MB] to evaluate the time needed by ViBe on your platform (Windows or Linux [Wine]), and on your own sequences.
- M. Van Droogenbroeck and O. Barnich. ViBe: A Disruptive Method for Background Subtraction. In T. Bouwmans, F. Porikli, B. Hoferlin, and A. Vacavant, editors, Background Modeling and Foreground Detection for Video Surveillance, chapter 7. Chapman and Hall/CRC, June 2014. Available on the University site in PDF format: , in HTML.
- O. Barnich and M. Van Droogenbroeck. ViBe: A universal background subtraction algorithm for video sequences. In IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 20(6):1709-1724, June 2011. Also available on the University site in PDF format: , and HTML format. This paper contains a very detailed pseudo-code description of the complete algorithm.
- M. Van Droogenbroeck and O. Paquot. Background Subtraction: Experiments and Improvements for ViBe. In Change Detection Workshop (CDW), Providence, Rhode Island, June 2012. Available on the University site in PDF format: , and HTML format.
- O. Barnich and M. Van Droogenbroeck. ViBe: a powerful random technique to estimate the background in video sequences. In International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP 2009), pages 945-948, April 2009. Available as a IEEE publication or on the University site.
- Patent description at the "freepatentsonline" web site
ViBe is covered by several patents (patent track: WO2009007198 / Publication date: 2009-01-15; Priority number(s): EP20070112011 20070708) / Europe (granted): EP2015252 / US (granted): US 8009918 B2 (pdf) / Japan (granted): JP 2011 4699564 B2
For any question, please contact Prof. Van Droogenbroeck .
ViBe inside a digital camera
Illustrations for a static camera
View from the roof of a house